- 2 cup dates
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup + 4 Tablespoons raw cocoa powder
- 1 cup creamed coconut
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups chopped mixed nuts (for decoration)
- In a food processor blend together the dates, walnuts and almonds until they are crumbly. If the paste is too thick, add a small drop of water (or add a drop of rum or whisky sometimes instead of the water for a kick).
- Add the cocoa powder and blend until mixed in (here is where you may need to add the drop of water / whisky too)
- Add the creamed coconut (I grate it first to assist incorporation).
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and in a large mixing bowl fold in the rest of the ingredients (APART FROM the chopped mixed nuts) with a wooden spoon.
- Roll the mixture into balls. I usually go for table-tennis size balls, but marble size or even golf ball size works!
- Roll each ball into the chopped mixed nuts
- If the mixture is too sticky to roll then freeze it for half a hour
- Freeze them for about an hour and take them out for ten minutes before eating them – or longer if you would sooner have them softer
- Store in the freezer in an airtight container